Receding gums change the way your smile looks – and can even change the way your face looks. There are many reasons why the gums recede, making teeth look longer, and potentially exposing discoloured portions of the tooth, along with the roots. The good news is that gum contouring is an option, whether it is for functional or purely cosmetic reasons.
Why gums recede
The gums should give the roots of your teeth a layer of support and protection against decay and other problems. When they begin to pull away, it may be the result of a variety of causes.
• Gum disease, or periodontal disease;
• Brushing too hard over a long period of time;
• Teeth grinding, or bruxitis;
• Misaligned teeth that result in uneven wear.
Once the gum has been lost, it cannot grow back.
Gum reconstruction procedures can take different forms. You may hear it called gum shaping or tissue sculpting. It’s an option if your gums rest too low or too high on your teeth, or if your gums have receded for any reason. In that sense it may be used as a cosmetic or reconstructive procedure.
• If gum loss is due to periodontal disease, that must be treated before any contouring can take place;
• Essentially, the procedure involves either taking away or adding gum tissue to improve the appearance as well as the function of the gums.
What’s the procedure like?
Every case is different, but there are some general guidelines.
• Gum contouring may involve the use of scalpels or lasers;
• It is typically performed with local anesthetic;
• More complicated procedures may involve removal of bone at the root of a tooth.
The surgery may take from a few days to a few weeks to heal, depending on the extent of the procedure.
Looking for advice on gum contouring, or any aspect of your dental or oral health? You’ll find the answer at Dr. Robert Axelrad’s Dental Office in Brampton, ON.
If you’re looking for a well-regarded and highly skilled dentist in the Brampton area, make an appointment with Dr. Robert Axelrad by calling (905)-791-3867. Visit our website to learn more about our dental services.