If you are facing the prospect of losing a tooth or multiple teeth, you can rest assured that modern dentistry has solutions to offer. This is where a denture care centre or clinic can help.
Call our Denture Care Centre in Brampton at (905) 791-3867 to learn more. We provide denture care for seniors and all ages.
You may be considering the two most common options – dentures and dental implants. Here’s a look at both procedures.
Dentures have been used for centuries in one form or another, and they are a reliable and proven option.
• Partial dentures can be used to replace some teeth in either the upper or lower jaw.
• They are anchored to the adjacent remaining teeth for support by clasps or hooks – that means the surrounding teeth need to be stable and strong enough to hold the partial denture in place.
• Full dentures are used to replace both sets of teeth, on the upper and lower jaws.
• The upper denture is held in place by suction.
• The lower denture is held in place by the custom fit and how the patient adjusts to it.
• Commercial products can also be used to help adhesion.
While they have some advantages, there are some down sides to dentures.
• Both partial and full dentures are removable, and must be removed over night.
• Both partial and full dentures need to be cleaned every night.
• With full dentures, it is estimated that up to 70% of your ability to taste may be diminished.
• With time, after all the teeth have been removed, the jaw bones will continue to diminish in size, which changes the look of the face, and also causes the dentures to become more unstable.
Dental implants have come to be the tooth replacement procedure of choice over the last three decades or so. In cases where they represent a viable treatment option, they are typically preferred.
• The dental implant is made of titanium, and looks something like a screw.
• The implant is surgically implanted into your jaw, and is permanent.
• The tooth replacement – crown, bridge, partial or full dentures – is anchored to the titanium implant.
• Dental implants can replace single or multiple teeth.
There are some distinct advantages to this type of treatment.
• Dental implants are permanent, and can – and should! – be brushed and flossed just like your natural teeth.
• Dentures anchored with implants can easily and quickly be snapped off to clean and right back on, offering more convenience and stability overall.
• Since they are implanted directly into the jawbone, they bond directly into the bone itself, and therefore actually help to slow down and even stop bone loss.
• Dentures anchored with implants don’t cover as much of the gum as regular dentures, and therefore there is less irritation, and less loss of taste.
Dental implants are often seen as preferable, but they depend on the health and stability of the jawbone itself. Your dentist can help you decide on what is best in your situation.
If you have any questions or concerns about tooth replacement options or any other aspect of your oral and dental health, your dentist is the right person to ask. You’ll find the answers at Dr. Robert Axelrad’s Dental Office in Brampton, ON.
If you’re looking for a well-regarded and highly skilled dentist in the Brampton area, make an appointment with Dr. Robert Axelrad by calling (905)-791-3867. Visit our website to learn more about our dental services.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Dr Axelrad and Staff