Book Your Appointment Now!
Did you know?
• There are over 4000 chemicals ingested with one puff of cigarette smoke…..namely formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and arsenic……who knew?
• Smokers have a 2 ½ to 3 ½ greater risk of gum disease than non-smokers.
• Smokers lose more teeth than non-smokers.
• Chewing tobacco and pipe smoking is harmful too, as both contain unhealthy chemicals in your body.
• Tobacco contains substances that are ‘cytotoxic,’ meaning that they destroy cells in the body.
• Smoking increases the risk of heart attacks, strokes, cancer and oral cancer too!
• Smokers develop more calculus (hard plaque) than non-smokers.
• Smoking reduces the ability of the body to respond to bacteria, thus causing gum disease. This is because nicotine lowers the efficiency of the immune system.
Hmmm…..You know what seems quite clear? Smoking does not work in ones favor.
In the next blog, we’ll take a better look at the effects of smoking on the oral cavity.
Yours in good health,
Dr. Robert Axelrad, Brampton Dentist